In 1946, Irrigon Fire District's first fire hall was located where the West Extension Irrigation District shop now sits. The station was not large enough to hold both of the District's fire trucks, so one of them had to be drained of water during the winter months. Firefighters would have to take the engine to the river to fill with water if it was needed for a fire. A new fire station was constructed in 1956 at it's current location. The station has been updated 5 times since then.
The first Chief of the Fire District was Harry Smith from 1946-1952. He was then replaced by Don Adam in 1953 who served as chief for 43 years. In 1996 Brenda Newport became Chief serving until 2003. Larry Burns then took the helm, serving as Chief until his retirement in February 2023. Currently, Tom Roberts is serving the District as Interim Fire Chief.